"Nobody loves me like you" is a simple phrase, but hold profound truth when we consider the love God has for us. We can never plumb the depths of God's love, but it's worth considering the details we can uncover in Scripture. Inspired by Chris Tomlin's song, "Nobody Loves Me Like You," we explore the example of love God has set for us.
Let's head over to 1 John to learn more.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture - this week's Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Reading in a variety of translations
- Read in context
- The Voice translation as found on BibleGateway.com
- Our focus area of Scripture - 1 John 4:7-12
- God's love as an attribute as described by Wayne Grudem in "Systematic Theology"
- Dynamic equivalent translations - GotQuestions.org
- Comparing our focus verse in a variety of translations
- Being willing to do the "heavy lifting" when we stumble upon areas of Scripture we don't understand
- The definition of love - 1 John 4:10
- God loved us first - 1 John 4:10, Ephesians 1:4
- God's love is sacrificial - 1 John 4:11, John 3:16, John 15:13
- God's love is accomplishing - 1 John 4:12
- God's love is displayed as an example and we're supposed to repeat it - 1 John 4:11
- The Holy Spirit enables us to love - 1 John 4:13
This Week's Challenge
Read all of 1 John in a translation you are not familiar with. Focus in on the unique love God has for us and meditate on what that means for our lives. How would your life look different if you devoted yourself to displaying the kind of love God has modeled for us?
Direct download: More_Than_a_Song_-_Episode_264.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00am CDT